Juan Valera's Reviews > Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Feb 03, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Read from January 30 to February 03, 2013

Dan Brown is an amazing writer for several reasons, but foremost among them is his talent for creating rising tension throughout a story. Angels & Demons is a great example of this, especially because of Brown's use of the cityscape and the particular setting as part of the story. It is difficult enough to have tension in a novel, but to have situational tension in a setting as foreign to most readers as Europe is an entirely different beast. Places like the Pantheon and St. Peter's Basilica are more than exotic destinations in this book; they are a real and important part of the story. But not only are they great settings, great backdrops against which the plot happens, they're also a part of the story itself. Vatican city's labyrinthine layout is introduced early on, it stays in the back of the reader's awareness until Langdon suddenly has to cross the plaza quickly. All of a sudden, the same city's structure seems hostile, every roundabout and piazza gets in Langdon's way and adds to the tension of the moment.

Angels & Demons, or perhaps Brown in general, taught me about the use of setting in my own writing. I now try to make my settings interactive; a part of the story as much as any character, not just a pretty background.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels & Demons.

01/30/2013 page 333