God O'Wax's Reviews > Palimpsest

Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente

190879
Aug 31, 10

Utterly wonderful and inutterably beautiful. One of the best books I have read. The language is rich, and gorgeous, and the ideas never stop. This is one I will return to again and again, for the beauty of the words and for the inspiration of the ideas. The story itself is tricky - it takes a while to get past character setup and development (including development of that essential character, the city itself) into plot, but I had no real problem with this as every sentence was worth reading for itself. Once the plot got underway, it is relatively straightforward, although some subplots are buried rather deeply within it and hard to tease out. I think one of the reasons I loved it so much is because it is about so many things that I am thinking about right now in my life, and includes so many ideas that I have given time to myself, so I hesitate to recommend it to anyone as highly as it deserves - reading this might show someone too much of what I believe and think about, and a rejection of this book might feel too much like a rejection of my self.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palimpsest.