Kathryn's Reviews > Red Hood's Revenge

Aug 31, 10

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-tales-reimagined, fantasy, on-my-nook
Recommended to Kathryn by: Howard Tayler
Recommended for: fantasy/fairy tale fans
Read in August, 2010 , read count: 1

In Red Hood's Revenge, Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty are up against Red Riding Hood, who has become the most notorious assassin in the world. Her target is Talia, or Sleeping Beauty, and as a result of the encounter, the princesses journey back to Talia's homeland. Those who remember the original, non-bowdlerized version of the tale will not be surprised to learn that Talia has not returned home since she killed her husband. This book incorporates several threads from the previous two, particularly the fairies' relationship with humans, and weaves in old myths like the Wild Hunt.

As with The Mermaid's Madness, this book loses a star with me because of the poor handling of perspective. The third person limited perspective frequently shifts between characters, sometimes from paragraph to paragraph, and some of the choices of perspective character are odd, which really threw me out of the story. I actually said out loud at one point, "And now we're getting HER perspective?"

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to those who like fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Hood's Revenge.