Michael Heneghan's Reviews > Eagle Blue: A Team, a Tribe, and a High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska

Eagle Blue by Michael D'Orso

M 50x66
Aug 31, 2010

Read from August 31 to September 13, 2010

A really great sports book. But like the jacket says, good sports books are rarely just about sports, and "Eagle Blue" is no exception. It's about friendship, teamwork, David vs. Goliath, and a lot more. This book came by way of suggestion from one of my friends I teach with. Isn't that really the best way to get a book? "Here, take this. I loved it and I think you will too."

This book follows a high school basketball team from a small town in very, very rural Alaska. The town and the team are comprised of native Alaskans (non-Inuit). Their passion for the sport is what binds the town together. It was like "Hoosiers" in the snow...not really, it's far more complex and interesting than that, but you get my point.

This book is up for grabs here in Vallarta if anyone is interested. A really pleasurable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eagle Blue.

08/31/2010 page 180
70.0% "Incredible book about a native Alaskan high school boys basketball team. The author follows them for a season. Great stuff, even if you have no interest in sports (but especially good if you do!)"