Alisha Marie's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Aug 04, 2015

bookshelves: e-books-i-ve-read, read-2013, tearjerkers, contemporary-fiction, read-in-2015, favorites
Read in August, 2015

I first read Room two years ago and remember being completely awed by it and loving it while thinking there was no way I was going to re-read it again. Well, cut to a few days ago when the trailer for the film was finally released and I decided to do a re-read to curb my anticipation of the movie a bit. And on it's re-read, Room still didn't disappoint.

I loved that Room had Jack as it's narrator. It was a refreshing change to novels that usually have the female that was kidnapped as a narrator. While the language he used was slightly off-putting at first, I tried to put myself in his headspace to not be aggravated by it. And it worked. I loved Jack. He simultaneously broke my heart and lifted it. He was just so precious and he seemed incredibly real. While he was slightly precocious (and by that I mean that his vocabulary seemed higher than that of your average five year old), he wasn't annoyingly so. And he still seemed like a five year old boy with five year old ideas.

I absolutely loved and adored his relationship with Ma. Yes, it was highly intense, but Ma seemed to be doing the best she could in that situation and trying to make it seem as normal as she could for Jack. She shielded him and protected him from her captor. Basically, everything she did for Jack brought tears to my eyes and slightly melted this cold, cold heart of mine.

I really liked that Room explored what happens in the "after". It's very easy to assume that when someone goes through a kidnapping and gets rescued, well then that's it. Everything's going to magically get better since they're no longer in that terrible situation. But I've always wondered how the recovery period actually goes and how hard it must be for those who have been kidnapped to get re-acclimated to the same world knowing that it isn't exactly the same anymore. So, while the first half of Room did get my heart-thumping and was way more intense than the second, the second part was the one that I actually enjoyed the most because I loved seeing the world (and his relationship with Ma) through Jack's eyes.

So, yeah, basically I loved this book. It's haunting, an incredible page-turner, and just all around great. But if you can't stand child narrators, then really, what are you doing even reading this review? ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

01/09/2014 marked as: read