Pastoralmusings's Reviews > The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission

The Mission of God's People by Christopher J.H. Wright

M 50x66
Sep 25, 10

Read from August 31 to September 25, 2010

To say that I was surprised by “The Mission of God's People” (henceforth TMGP)would be an understatement. I had two expectations: 1. That it would not be substantial. 2. That it would be fluff that was simply geared toward social justice sorts of causes. Why? Because I had no idea of the author and his writings. This reviewer was proven to be very, very wrong on both counts. In fact, I greatly enjoyed the book, because it was substantial, and because it engaged Scripture in a very honest manner. Over and over again as I read this book I found myself nodding in agreement and wanting to scream out “YES!” This guy has nailed it.
TMGP is through and through a Biblically based book. It is saturated with Bible. It is thoroughly theological. It is not dull, however. It is theology for living. He says, “No theology without missional impact; no mission without theological foundations.”
Wright explains to us why we were created, and why we have been re-created in the new birth. There is a goal in it all. That goal is to bring glory to God. From Adam to Abraham to you, and to the ages to come, the mission of God's people is to magnify the greatness of God. Though a very different sort of writer than John Piper, Wright's goal and passion is the same. In fact, I was frequently reminded both of Desiring God and Let The Nations Be Glad as I read this book.
Not only does Wright explain that God's people in all ages have been called to show the glory of God in their lives, but he explains how that is to work out. The Scriptures show us how to shine for Jesus. In worship, in bearing witness, in proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus, in sending and in going, in working our jobs, as well as in our prayer and praise, Wright shows us how that we are to be a people on mission for God.
In a time when it seems that God's people have lost their way and theology is often scorned, Wright manages to use theology to show us the way. In a time when missional is a watchword, Wright presents us a theology of mission. Not a missional theology. Not a theology of missions. Not a theology of evangelism. This is a theology of God's purpose for our lives, God's purpose for the church, and His purpose for us in all that we do. Wherever we go, and whatever we do, we are to love, worship, value, honor, and demonstrate the worth of God. That is the Mission of God's People. It's not simply something that we do: it's who we are. It is our identity. It is our calling.
"Disclaimer:
I received this book free from Zondervan.  Providing me a free copy in no way guarantees a favorable review.   The opinions expresses in this review are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mission of God's People.