Harrison's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

M 50x66
Sep 16, 10

Harrison Pollak
9/5/10

Book Review of “The Absolutley True Diary of a Part Time Indian”
By Harrison Pollak

Have you ever had to decide something that could change your life completely? Maybe and maybe not, but in this book it puts you in the shoes of a 13-year old Indian named Junior. Junior is living on a reservation who is poor and has a family full of drunks. One day an incident happened at school where he broke his teachers nose. Yes, he broke his teachers nose, these things pop up in the book at very suprising times, back to the story, he tells Junior that he is one of the smartest kids he has ever met. Then he tells him to change his life, he tells him to go to a school off the reservation, he tells him to go to the rich white kids school, the one everyone in the reservation hates.
There are many bumps and struggles on his journey but they are paved over by humor and love. It’s like the average 13-year olds life but it’s different, there are problems all around you. He loses his best friend who he knew since he was a baby. Junior is skinny, small, Indian, artistic, and a basketball player. His best friend, or ex-best friend, Rowdy, is big, mean, strong, and not afraid of anything, but he doesn’t hurt Junior at all. Why? It’s because he has no friends except Junior, and he didn’t want to lose him.
I love this book mostly because of the humor and sadness, it is very funny and sad at the same time. I would recommend this to young adults, because it connects with them (mostly boys) and is like there life story but more jam pact with interesting situations. This book is unique and consistent because of the good stories that never end. I haven’t read a book like this, and it’s my favorite book, so I highly recommend it to anyone over twelve, mostly young adult.
1 like · flag

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Harry, I really appreciated your review. I felt the same way about this book. It was so real! If you liked this one, we can probably come up with some others that you will also like. Let me know if you want some suggestions.