Carolyn F.'s Reviews > The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire

The Eternal Kiss by Trisha Telep

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: library-book, anthology-omnibus, young-adult, paranormal
Read from October 17 to 25, 2010, read count: 1

Anthology - vampire stories - YA. I'll give my overall review here. Most of the stories were okay, some a little better than okay some worse than okay. I think this anthology is more geared toward a 15-16 ish reader and I found myself struggling mostly from boredom to finish it. I think my daughter would enjoy it but she's made a pledge to never read anything I've read first. So if I can pretend surprise, "Oh my gosh, this book sure looks interesting honey. I wonder what it's about?" I may get her to read it.

1. Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney. Moth returns to her hometown for her mother's memorial and her master asks her to steal an urn at a vampire hunter's home. She gets caught and escapes. Then there's a scene where her father tells her to never come back that she's not welcome. I felt this story was incomplete. This felt like an outline of a book but was made into a short story. I would read this if it were a full length novel, which I feel the author should attempt.

2. Shelter Island by Melissa de la Cruz. Hannah lives on an island that full during the summer but during the winter is practically deserted, which she loves. She notices some strange things going on in the house and then Dylan appears before, a vampire boy, who's running from a vampire that eats his own. I don't know if this is a theme for me at least, but this story was so short which made it a little unsatisfying. But overall, the story was sweet.

3. Sword Point by Maria V. Snyder. Ava is accepted at a prestigious fencing school. They teach fencing and how to kill vampiros! Kind of a silly story.

4. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. Matilda has been bitten by a vampire while at a party and if she can hold out for 88 days, she can sweat out the infection, but if she bites anyone she'll automatically die and turn into a vampire. She's on her 54th? day and a friend of hers runs into her and tells her that his sister and Matilda's boyfriend Julian have gone into the vampire area of town so that his sister can be turned and Julian has gone because if his girlfriend. Matilda's turns herself so she can go find them and bad stuff happens. This was the most satisfying and complete of the short stories so far.

5. Undead is Very Hot Right Now by Sarah Rees Brennan. Now this story was the best so far. Funny and sad. Christian is a vampire in a boy band. While walking on the red carpet a girl yells for him as she's being squeezed by the crowd. He only been around for 19 years and was made when he was 18, so he's a little insecure. This was one of the funny things he said. "'You need water! I know this because humans . . . need to drinking water. For living.' He stopped himself from adding, 'this is just one of the many things that I know' and shaming himself further." I was smiling through the whole story. I've never read this author, but will look for her books.

6. Kat by Kelley Armstrong. Another good story. Kat is 16 years old and is on the run with Marguerite, who is a vampire. Kat is supernatural but she doesn't know how she's supernatural. Hunters come one night and chase them through town. When they catch Marguerite, Kat tries to exchange herself and is shot by one of the hunters. Now she finds out what type of supernatural she is.

7. The Thirteenth Step by Libba Bray. Lauren gets an asst job as a halfway house. One of the neighbors tells her about his cousin and his friend who ran out of their screaming and the cousin was dead, the friend was on the run. This story was pretty gory and the ending was horrible, in a good for a horrible story way. I don't know if I could read more of her stuff if she has the same stuff happening. Disturbing.

8. All Hallows by Rachel Caine. Eve and the Glass House gang go to the EEK annual Halloween party, but Michael so excited by her outfit he goes vampire and needs to stop at the blood bank first. Well stuff happens to him and Eve, Shane and Claire see if they can help. One of the better of the short stories but that's probably because I know the characters.

9. Wet Teeth by Cecil Castellucci. Miles sees Penny at the park after he feeds and she reminds him of a girl he went to high school with. The next time they meet they start talking and then Miles starts to feel almost human. Sad ending.

10. Other Boys by Cassandra Clare. Jen, Gabbie and Brigitte are cousins going to the same high school. A new kid starts at the school and introduces himself as a vampire. But is he really a vampire? I guessed this one about halfway through.

11. Passing by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie. The world has turned upside down with vampires killing all willy-nilly. Jenn is about to graduate from vampire hunting school but is secretly in love with a vampire named Jack. Antonio her partner knows what's going on. I enjoyed this story.

12. Ambition by Lili St. Crow. The heroine goes to a Catholic school as a scholarship student and has a rich best friend named Gwyneth. Gwyneth sets her up for humiliation at a party and on the way home she meets Johnny, who seems to understand the way she feels so apart from all the "golden people". Even though the story left you wondering about whether she turned good or bad, it was a likable story.

13. All Wounds by Dina James. Becky is a high school student with a grandmother with Alzheimer. She find out when they have a late night visitor that her grandmother is a healer for the ethereals in their part of the world and should have been but hadn't been training Becky. With the help of a vampire master, her grandmother is herself and is able to see that she needs to take care of that. Very cute story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Kiss.

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell This sounds like an interesting book Carolyn!! Awesome review!!

Melodie I read this one last year and rated it pretty much the same as you. Some pretty good reads, some just so-so.

Carolyn F. Great minds think alike Melodie :)

Carolyn F. Ronyell, you might like it. If I could have picked and chose the stories, it would have been better. But I don't count reads for challenges unless I finished the book, so, poor me.

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Carolyn F. wrote: "Ronyell, you might like it. If I could have picked and chose the stories, it would have been better. But I don't count reads for challenges unless I finished the book, so, poor me."

Oh yeah! I do the exact same thing! If I don't finished the book at all, then I don't count it in my challenges unless I finished reading it. What reading challenges are you doing?

Carolyn F. Oh, too many to write. I post them at the bottom of my profile page so I can keep track of them. I'm sure there are about 20 of them, although some are more than a month long, thank goodness. My husband things I'm strange, but I think they're fun.

message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell That's great to hear!! Posting your challenges on your profile page definitely makes it easier to keep track of your challenges!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ Thanks for your reviews. Do to my slower reading speed than others, I will count novella's in my challenges. So it was nice to get a breakdown of what each of the different stories are about and how you felt about them so I know which ones to read first or which to avoid later.

Carolyn F. It's all subjective though Briansgirl - so take my reviews with a grain of salt.

message 10: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Falling to Ash is a now a book by Karen Mahoney, so if you would like to read it, you can.

Carolyn F. Thanks Lila, I'll have to check it out