Ellyddan's Reviews > A Madness of Angels

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin

Aug 31, 10

it was ok
Read in August, 2010

I'll be honest: I couldn't finish this book. While the ideas behind how magic worked and the characters were interesting, I found this to be a plodding read. The descriptions while sometimes wonderful could also come precariously close to purple prose. I distinctly remember the author recycling the same detailed sensory descriptions and similes to describe two separate phone booths.
The details just never let up. It made the pacing of the book oftentimes awkward. The main character of Matthew Swift often felt a little too distanced from the events around him and almost clinical in his detailed descriptions of the environments and events around him.
Again it really for me was primarily a pacing problem. It felt just too measured, too sated when it needed to be short and choppy or at the very least shorter.

Again, the magic theory is very intriguing in the book, but I found myself too often not caring enough about the events or characters to invest myself fully in this book.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Madness of Angels.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha I can understand why you couldn't finish it. I mean, it's really detailed, and it's really odd. I don't really wanna finish it myself. I read like a chapter a week of that book. But as I read more... I understand it more. Matthew wants revenge on his death, and he's more powerful than he thinks, give it a second chance, maybe?