Cinnamon's Reviews > Falling Under

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: series, fantasy, 2011, young-adult, reviewed, 2-mediocre
Read from April 04 to 06, 2011

This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

2.5/5

A shy girl living a seemingly normal life? Check.
A hot and mysterious guy appearing out of nowhere? Check.
Instant, unexplainable, and inevitable attraction blossoming as the two gaze at each other fatefully through a pane of glass? Check.

Haden/Mr. Dangerous-and-Brooding: Stay away from me, lamb.* I’m dangerous.
Theia/Ms. Radiant-Sunshine: But I don’t want to. I think I’m in love with you!
Check.

Does this sound just a teensy bit familiar yet…? Ugh, the first two-thirds of the book was a complete rehash of Twilight, albeit a better-written one. A solid 2 stars -- not horrible, and yet not horribly original. I had to roll my eyes a few times here and there. A couple of facepalms appeared, too.

What bumped the rating up to 2.5 stars was the last third of Falling Under. Told in the perspective of Haden instead of Theia, this portion of the book, titled Up is Down, is infinitely more interesting plot-wise and such a joy to read after the coughTwilightcough review we got before. If only the entire book was like the last part. Alas, it was not to be.

Overall, this book is worth it if you’re willing to wade through some clichés and overdone plot lines first. Falling Under’s invigorating ending certainly left me in need of the sequel.

*Seriously? Haden has to refer to Theia as his lamb, too? Please… -.-

Book Source: Borrowed

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Under.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Esmeralda Deborah  Molina Lol, love the facepalm comment, definately not reading it now. I've had enough twilight remake reads for 5 years!

Cinnamon Haha, same! I'm a Twilight-hater, though, so the review might just be a tad bit biased. But hey, it's my opinion, right? :D

message 3: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Did you know that in Sookie Stackhouse #4: Dead to the World, there is a quote that goes:
"You could hardly say the lion wanted to caress the
antelope."
Must just be a popular theme for fantasy novels...

Cinnamon The lion and lamb (or some other weaker animal) is so overused. It has a biblical reference but was popularized/soiled by Twilight =.=