Matt's Reviews > God: A Biography

God by Jack Miles

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: religion
Read from August 31 to December 26, 2010

This book was a very learned, thoughtful book about the Jewish scriptures. There was something to think about on just about every page, and Miles has a knack for creating compelling analysis of challenging text (and, in God, a challenging character!).
It's hard to sum up what Miles was trying to say, which is one of the things that makes the book so interesting -- the God of the Old Testament (or Tanakh, as I learned that the Jewish scriptures are called) is quite confusing. Miles makes the point that the book would make more sense if God were many -- one god that created the world, one that destroyed it in the flood, and so forth -- but that the whole point of God is that he is one and contains a unity that is not immediately apparent.
This may well be a book to revisit sometime in the future -- there's a lot here. I'm intrigued by the suggestion that Abraham never intended to sacrifice Isaac but was just going along until the last possible moment, and I'm also intrigued by the whole discussion of Job. I found this section, crucial for Miles, to be challenging to understand completely. I think I have to read more about Job in general.
The book got me thinking and piqued my curiosity, and Miles is a graceful and engaging writer. I'm glad I glad I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God.