Chelzee's Reviews > The Jaguar Prophecies

The Jaguar Prophecies by Phyllis Gunderson

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: owned
Read in September, 2010

First, I am obligated to say that I won this through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway. So.. thanks guys! You cured by boredom for a day!

Second, I just finished the book. And I must say that whoever edited the book did a bogus job when it comes to punctuation. I will now list all of the pages where punctuation errors were found:
6, 18, 30, 44, 48, 57, 63, 68, 69, 82, 83, 92, 98, 99, 108, 109, 117, 118, 124, 125, 134, 136, 137, 163, 166, 177, 179, and 189.
Some of these pages had multiple errors on them. Keep in mind that these errors were observed while casually reading the book, and I was not intentionally searching for errors in the text (meaning there are probably a lot more that I didn't notice). So, before the book goes to press, I recommend getting someone in to proof-read for punctuation.

Now, about the contents of the book. I rated it 3 stars. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. It was like a second-rate version of a Dan Brown novel, but with less action and fewer explanations about the things being described. The ending was anti-climatic (it attempted to be a hopeful message, but in reality just kind of a let-down). The book attempted to do two different stories in one-- the first being an apocalyptic, end-of-the-world prophecy full of ancient rituals and whatnot, the second being a rocky mother-daughter relationship that is resolved after an experience out in the world and a few harsh doses of reality.

To sum up my points: I think the book needs to figure out what genre it wants to be, and a proof-reader needs to be hired (or fired).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jaguar Prophecies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mindy/fangedmom Chelzee, look at your copy a little closer on the first page of the book that shows the Title. It should say towards the middle/bottom "ADVANCE READER COPY" The one that I won is an ARC-Advance Readers Copy. This book is not set to be released to the general public until November 2010. In case your not familiar with the term ARC, this is an unedited and not finalized version of the book. that is why there are errors. Hope that helps!

mindy

message 2: by Chelzee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chelzee Mindy/fangedmom wrote: "Chelzee, look at your copy a little closer on the first page of the book that shows the Title. It should say towards the middle/bottom "ADVANCE READER COPY" The one that I won is an ARC-Advance Rea..."

Okay, I understand that it's an Advanced Readers Copy (if you had read my comment carefully, you would have seen that). I'm just saying that if one is releasing ANY form of literature to the public, even if it's just going to a few people, it should be in the best form possible (meaning proofread and spell-checked, even if it's only done by the author). It was severely distracting and I think really influenced my general dislike of the book, which is NOT something an author wants. My critique was more or less to help the people working on the book, not so much to help those who are considering reading it.

Mindy/fangedmom Chelzee,

Chelzee Mindy/fangedmom wrote: "Chelzee,

Sorry if I offended you. It was not inteneded. It was not too long ago that I learned what an ARC first was. Thought I was being helpful. Did not mean to step on toes."

Oh, no, no. You didn't offend me, I just felt maybe I should explain it a bit more clearly.