Keely's Reviews > Cryptonomicon

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Aug 16, 07

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, novel, reviewed, america
Read in January, 2004

Neal Stephenson likes to throw weird shit together and see if it sticks. The more recent his book, the more likely it is to resemble a schizophrenic's curio cabinet. Your average Phillip Pullman will add a little wacky trepanning to his fantasy trilogy for that refined edge of esoteria.

Meanwhile, Stephenson will have an exiled member of Italian royalty who works in 'demolition real estate' and knows Escrima thanks to an intense trepanning session with Horace Walpole, Duke Orford. Which I believe is an accurate summary of the next William Gibson book.

One man's premise is another man's plot.

I liked it better when Stephenson used the bizarre as a spice to flavor a driven, exciting story. Though spices may make a dish delectable, they aren't palatable on their own; you need some meat. I guess what I'm saying is: who the fuck wrote Snowcrash and when will he write something else?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryptonomicon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Keely Interesting--I've been steered away from the Baroque Cycle by my literary friends on account of it being 'incoherently self-indulgent', but I couldn't speak to its quality personally.

message 2: by Moira (new)

Moira Fogarty I cannot believe you haven't read 'The Diamond Age'. It has problems, but I recommend it regardless.

Keely Yeah, I'd heard it was a bit disappointing and never ended up getting to it. Of course, it's never too late. Thanks for the comment.

message 4: by Hibido (new) - added it

Hibido I don't know what it is about Stephenson, but I find his work's confusing ramblings and detailed descriptions somehow relaxing. It is very different from Snow Crash, but I think its just as good.