Larissa's Reviews > Pygmalion

Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

Oct 01, 10

bookshelves: read-2010-11, classics, plays
Read from September 29 to October 01, 2010

Truly enjoyed the dialogue between all the characters, but more because it was simply ridiculous and unbelievable, although I am certain that Shaw was most likely writing with all seriousness. I didn't however enjoy the long and boring explainations at the beginning and end of the dialogue. Somehow my respect for Higgins and Eliza waned after the long and deluded explanation about Eliza's future. I cannot imagine her with either Higgins or Freddy and unfortunately I am at a loss to understand why Shaw cannot invent a viable alternative, when Pickering (fully characterized albeit very absentminded) is a very respectable and likable man--why was shaw unable to produce an equally viable character for Eliza and I cannot condone the whole, power cannot stand power idea. I also do not condone the whole arguement of Mr. Doolittle being Nietzschean. I find the whole social darwinism alarming, especially given the reality that Hitler was it's most promenent proponent, idolizing Nietzsche. The socialistic undertones of this play gave it much more confusion than it should have. I wish that Shaw had simply been intentionally funny, then the narcisim of all the characters would have been far easier to bear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pygmalion.