Richard Risch's Reviews > Foreigner

Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh

Feb 12, 2011

Read from August 31 to September 18, 2010

This a very interesting book, masterly written in many ways. Although the book is classified as Science Fiction, I would consider it a Suspenseful Mystery with with science fiction overtones.

The book is basically about a human councilor/interpreter who works as a mediator between humans that have been stranded on an alien planet and its real inhabitants. His life is threaten by unknown assassination, without understanding who or why.

There is a little droning in it as the point of culture clash is made a little abundantly too clear. However, what makes this a very good read is the use of background politics, which gives it a lot of good twists and turns. The main theme of the clashing of cultures and perceiving what the other side is thinking is a mind opener to a reader who is looking not only for entertainment, but philosophical depth. It brings up the question about how good ... or how badly we really communicate with each other in our daily interface with the world. It is something to dwell on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreigner.

09/14/2010 page 212
49.0% "Actually, very interesting."