Rikki's Reviews > The Outlaw

The Outlaw by Rebecca Leigh

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: glbt, fiction
Read in September, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This was especially interesting to me because it is a steampunk story. So far I have never read anything steampunk, but was very curious about it. I totally liked that aspect and will definitely have to check out that genre in general. I loved the atmosphere and could picture Terra Noir very well from the description.

However, “The Outlaw” is a story that is too short for its plot and setting. I got a vague idea about the political situation with some sort of aristocracy in the East trying to keep the West down and so called outlanders in the West who try to foment a rebellion. I would have loved to know more about this but with a page count of 70 this was not possible.

Kell and Damian were both good characters with Kell being more or less the generic innocent outlaw and Damian being the man whose world is crumbling around him. And he takes this shattering of all his beliefs, well, not really in stride, but he comes around to the opposite point of view very quickly. I would have preferred to see this as a slower process.

Like I asked already in a recent review how come that it seems authors are delivering stories that have the potential for complex plot development in the form of a not even 100 pages long novella? The plot is wasted that way, because now it is too late to re-develop it and make it bigger, it’s already out there. There were so many possibilities in “The Outlaw”, slavery in the outlander society, the rebellion, corruption among the nobility in the East, Damian’s crushed world view, Kell going from wanted outlaw to rebellion leader, the story behind the oasis…, I could go on and on.

I loved “The Outlaw” and its atmosphere and just hope that Ms. Leigh is coming up with a (preferably longer) sequel because for me this story is far from over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlaw.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kassa Great review Rikki. I hated Outlaw lol but it's so funny because I can see the exact elements of why you really enjoyed it. Different strokes! If you're looking for good steam punk stories there is one by Sean Kennedy from DSP and there's a really funny short story from Noble Romance called A Certain Pressure in the Pipes that's also a good steam punk.

Rikki How come you hated it, Kassa? Did you post a review of it somewhere?
Rebecca left a comment on my blog saying that there will be a sequel, I'm really looking forward to that.

Thanks for the recommendations for other steampunk stories. Will check them out.

Kassa wrote: "Great review Rikki. I hated Outlaw lol but it's so funny because I can see the exact elements of why you really enjoyed it. Different strokes! If you're looking for good steam punk stories there is..."

Kassa I haven't posted my review yet (I still have like 9 reviews to post and don't want to flood them all at once). I didn't like much of anything about it. I didn't like the writing, the characters, the obvious gaps in the plot. It felt like an early attempt by the author, but that's a total guess. Perhaps this author just isn't for me.