Grace's Reviews > Where She Went

Aug 31, 2010

bookshelves: book-challenge-2011, read-asap, young-adult, favorites
Read from April 22 to 23, 2011 , read count: 1

One word: Wow!

"She looks at me, square in the eye. Taking aim. And then she pulls the trigger. 'Because I hated you.'
The wind, the noise, it all just goes quiet for a second, and I'm left with a dull ringing in my ear, like after a show, like after a heart monitor goes to flatline. 'Hated me? Why?'
'You made me stay.' She says it quietly, and it almost gets lost in the wind and the traffic and I'm not sure I heard her. But then she repeats it louder this time. 'You made me stay!'"

When I read If I Stay last year, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the novel. It was very moving and emotional, and I was basically reduced to tears by the end of the book. Where She Went, the sequel to If I Stay, was even better. I was worried that I was going to be less than pleased with it. I mean there are only so many things you could do with a sequel to a story like that but Gayle Forman really delivered another true gem to the masses.

The story being told from Adam's point of view, Mia's boyfriend in If I Stay, only contributed to the amazing way this book was put together. This book was rich with powerful and lyrical prose and skillfully organized into before and after sections by Forman. It keeps going from the present day time when Adam is in New York before leaving for a music tour to back to different points in the past from before, during, and after the accident that Mia and her family were involved in. Adam is at the breaking point from all that pressure that being a "rock star" comes with currently and when he winds up running into Mia after one of her concerts, the two are in for a night they'll never be able to forget. While discovering each other all over again and uncovering a lot of truths left unspoken previously, they will have to decide how far they're willing to go in order to attain their heart's desire and the true meaning of forgiveness. This is definitely a book about coming to terms with the cards life deals you.

I can honestly say that there were several points in the book where I broke down and started to cry. This was a very beautifully written story continuing throughout both books. I loved how Forman wrote one book in one character's perspective and the sequel in the other's point of view. It made for a much bigger impact and the ideas and life lessons behind the story were fully able to hit home. I can't wait to see what Forman brings to the table in the literary world next, but I know it will be phenomenal.

"I've come to realize there's a world of difference between knowing something happened, even knowing why it happened, and believing it. Because when she cut off contact, yeah, I knew what had happened. But it took me a long, long time to believe it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

Quotes Grace Liked

Gayle Forman
“But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day, to reassure myself that I got through yesterday, I'll get through today.”
Gayle Forman, Where She Went

Gayle Forman
“I've become to realize there's a world of difference between knowing something happened, even knowing why it happened, and believing it.”
Gayle Forman, Where She Went