Katrina V.'s Reviews > Columbine

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: audio-books, non-fiction
Read in November, 2009

I really enjoy listening to audio books while I’m driving but have never listened to any non-fiction, so I decided to give it a try. I prefer non-fiction books that read in a more story-like format, and had heard that that was the case with Dave Cullen’s most recent book, Columbine. The book was even a finalist for the 2009 Edgar Awards, which are presented by the Mystery Writers of America group to honor the best mystery books of the year.

Dave Cullen was one of the original journalists who reported on the tragic events of April 20th, 1999, when two high school students turned on their peers and teachers for one of the largest school shootings that America has ever faced. Columbine is a combination of personal recollections, police documents and records, and information from Cullen’s own reporting of the event and its aftermath.

Cullen begins with the crime itself and then works his way backwards to detail the years leading up to the attack and the psyches of the killers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Although at times very difficult to listen to, the story is an important one, and Cullen brings both the victims and the killers to life with his vivid imagery and detailed time line.

Narrator Don Leslie does an excellent job in his delivery, with an appropriate level of emotion in his voice throughout the story. Leslie brings the culture and people of Columbine, Colorado to life for the listener. I cried through a lot of this book (I don’t recommend listening while driving) but it’s a worthwhile one to pick up, as either a book or on audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.