Tina's Reviews > The Candidates

1420355
Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: ya-fantasy
Read from August 31 to September 02, 2010

2.5 stars - My thoughts. Here they go ...

Yeahs ::

* The idea is fun, has a X-men feel to it. I like the candidates idea and their "talents". It was an interesting new theory about their powers.

* I'm a sucker for bordering school stories, so the setting won me. Delcroix is an Academy for the especially talented high school kids. Kids spend their week days here and go home for the weekend. Most kids don't realize they are "special".

* Jack, Esther and Hennie. I would have luvd to have friends like them. In fact, I might have.

* I really liked Jack and wished their was more interactions with him.

Nays ::

* There was a lot of missed opportunities for developing the character's relationships. For example ... there was a lot of stated facts letting the reader know that Jack and Dancia are hanging out, or Cam and Dancia hanging out. There should have been more scenes with them interacting, not just stating after the fact. Because of this, I didn't feel their connections like I would have liked.

* Not much happened. This book had no action and the revelation was close to the end.

* Oooooo, Dancia irritated me ever time she was rude to Jack and kissed up to Cam. I still don't understand why she was so rude to Jack. Just because he told her the truth that she didn't want to face, didn't give her the right to treat him like dirt. Why Jack still remained friends with her, was beyond me!

* I never trusted Cam and still don't! Dancia open your eyes!

Plot 2 stars
Cover 3 stars
Writing 2 stars
Setting 3 stars
Originality 3 stars
Characters 3 stars
Romance / Chemistry 1 stars
Drama : Romance 80:20 - I don't know. There is supposed to be a small romance, but I didn't feel it.
Ending 3 stars
Good enough to pick up again 2 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Candidates.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Will you read the sequel? I'm a little half-hearted on starting this novel.

Tina I won't run out to get it. I'll wait to see the reviews.