Al's Reviews > The Doll People

Sep 20, 10

bookshelves: with-veronica
Recommended for: 2-5th graders
Read from August 31 to September 16, 2010

This story is built around a cute premise -- a Victorian doll family, the Dolls, that's been passed down through four generations for the past 100+ years suddenly has neighbors -- a new plastic doll family, the Funcrafts, with "snap-on plastic clothes" and a dream house. Themes of acceptance and friendship are explored while the two families get to know each other and learn about each others customs and day-to-day life. Some danger and mystery are thrown into the story, centering around the human family's cat and Great Auntie Sarah Doll who's been missing for nearly 50 years.

My eight-year old really enjoyed this book and has already gotten the sequel out of the library. I enjoyed the story overall and appreciated the inclusion of many thoughtful details about the families (my favorite being that Baby Betsy Doll is twice as big as any other doll in the family, because she's "from a different set", but of course they love her just the same!), but found the story a bit plodding. Additionally, the dialog difficult to keep track of while reading it aloud; I was always trying to decipher exactly who was supposed to be saying what. But, the story is sweet and the book contains some nice illustrations so you can better picture the families and their houses.

My daughter said to give it five stars. It's more of a three star book in my opinion, so we're compromising with a four star rating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doll People.