Morgan F's Reviews > Losing Faith

Losing Faith by Denise Jaden

Oct 22, 10

bookshelves: pulse-it, 2010, young-adult, goodreads-author, its-a-girl, mystery, debut, medium-sized, read-2010, e-book
Read from September 11 to October 11, 2010

Brie is your average self-absorbed teenage girl. Her main concerns are partying and trying to keep her boyfriend's interest. However, one night Brie receives horrible news: her older sister Faith was killed in a horrible accident. Brie and Faith weren't particularly close as Faith was devoutly religious, something Brie wasn't all that comfortable with. Despite their differences, when Faith dies, Brie's world collapses. She loses her boyfriend, best friend, and her parents are too distracted with their own grief to even notice her. And Brie isn't ready to move on. There is something unsettling about the circumstances of Faith's death….something that just doesn't add up. And Brie is determined to find out just what it is.

While this book certainly is original, it is nothing extraordinary. It takes patience to get through the meandering plot and it took me weeks to finish. Yet I persevered. It wasn't suspense that drew me in, but there was something so…..pleasant about the writing. I liked it.

There was a little too much religious talk for my tastes. Even Brie, who is one of the least religious characters in the book, discusses it quite a lot. It kind of makes me feel uncomfortable and guilty because I never go to church for the sole reason that I am too lazy to go to church of Sundays. Does mass have to be on a weekend? That's when I catch up on my beauty sleep. And homework. And Jersey Shore marathons.

As for the mystery-plot, there really was none. It seemed to be a suspended curiosity rather than an impending mystery. Brie just kind of ran around in circles while Tessa went all ninja. Things didn't turn action-y until the last fifty pages or so. Then it was like BAM.

But as I said before, there was something likable about it, some sort of endearing factor that kept me turning the pages.

I don't really recommend this book, but I won't dive-bomb you in the bookstore screaming "NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" if I see you pick it up ( I have been known to do this in the past, particularly with certain YA vampire books).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Faith.

09/13/2010 page 38
10.0% "I sense a mystery."
09/15/2010 page 64
16.0% "Hmmm. Tessa and Celeste know something...." 2 comments
09/18/2010 page 126
33.0% "A bit slow moving..."
09/19/2010 page 168
45.0% 2 comments
09/20/2010 page 195
52.0% "The plot is slowly inching forward."
09/24/2010 page 212
56.0% "I'm too tired to read."
09/27/2010 page 222
59.0% "Will I ever finish this book?"
10/04/2010 page 272
72.0% "I can finally read this again."
10/05/2010 page 302
80.0% "This book is incredibly slow moving."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I'm curious about this book. I'm undecided, can't wait to hear what you think.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen Yes, yes. I require your thoughts on this one. I must buy it.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm with Tina and Jen, I'm not sure if I want to read this.

Morgan F I still have yet to get into it.

message 5: by Nic (new)

Nic Good review Morgan. I am taking this off my list.

Morgan F Yeah. Its not quite good enough to go out and buy.

message 7: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Great review! This is at my lib so I might pick it up one day:)