Valentina Heart's Reviews > Angel Requiem

Angel Requiem by Jaime Samms

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: glbt, glbt-sf-futur-fantasy-paran, hearts-on-fire
Read from August 30 to 31, 2011

This review was originally written for Hearts on Fire Reviews and can also be found there.

This is probably the hardest review I’ve had to write because I do not have anything positive to say about this story. So I’m going to start with letting you know how this is truly a personal opinion and has nothing to do with the author’s talent or the quality of the book. All I can say is what I disliked about it and let other readers form their own opinion.

The story starts in a confusing way and pretty much continues that way to the end. One sole priest with his belief in angels when everyone else is set on destroying them, simply because they do not believe anymore, is living in a post-apocalyptic world of hate and mercilessness.

The priest has lost everyone dear to him and is mostly confined to his little cemetery where he holds in his gift of healing and seeing the dead, where angels come to visit and where he sends them away.

While I wasn’t opposed to the idea behind this story, the lack of absolutely any explanations left the world very vague and bland for me. I didn’t like the priest’s personality, his way of holding back and watching everything from the sidelines nor did I like the mindless violence based on the most absurd of explanations.

It was probably my mistake of starting with this book and expecting a romance, while it wasn’t listed anywhere that it is in fact a romance. It is a poetic telling of a bitter-sweet story with no clear beginning and a no conclusive ending. It simply did not work for me.

I will refrain from saying anything more or giving recommendations. There are plenty of other reviews available for those seeking a second opinion and I do suggest you read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Requiem.

08/30/2011 page 15

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pia (new)

Pia Veleno Even though it's a one-star, your review has me intrigued. I'm not quite sure why that is.I agree, it's so hard to write a review like this, and thank you for being honest and writing in detail.

Valentina Heart It was very hard, because I do not want to offend anyone, but since it is an official review I can't very well say I liked the book when I didn't.

As for reading it, go ahead. Plenty of people loved the book so you might too.