Paul 'Pezski' Perry's Reviews > The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon-Haunted World.

Quotes Paul 'Pezski' Liked

Carl Sagan
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

Carl Sagan
“Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.”

Carl Sagan
“Books, purchasable at low cost, permit us to interrogate the past with high accuracy; to tap the wisdom of our species; to understand the point of view of others, and not just those in power; to contemplate--with the best teachers--the insights, painfully extracted from Nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, drawn from the entire planet and from all of our history. They allow people long dead to talk inside our heads. Books can accompany us everywhere. Books are patient where we are slow to understand, allow us to go over the hard parts as many times as we wish, and are never critical of our lapses. Books are key to understanding the world and participating in a democratic society.”

Carl Sagan
“But nature is always more subtle, more intricate, more elegant than what we are able to imagine.”
Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

10/11/2010 "about a tenth of the way through the audiobook. Sagan's joy at the universe and our capacity to understand it is palpable. The only problem is that this isn't read by the great man himself. The very plummy actor who reads it is fine, but i am so used to hearing Sagan's unique voice in my head that it jars somewhat."
10/12/2010
25.0% "wonderful stuff. i still have to get hold of a copy of the book, as i keep hearing quotes and references i want to make a note of"
10/18/2010
70.0% "After going into perhaps too much detail to dismiss UFO enthusiasts (but this was, after all, published in 1995 pretty well at the height of popular culture's fascination with the subject), Sagan has moved onto more worthwhile territory, discussing the ethics that should be expected of the scientist"
show 2 hidden updates…