Lu's Reviews > A Conspiracy of Kings

A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner

1611934
Aug 31, 10

Read in August, 2010

This book made 9 hours in the car FLY by. I wish I had something this interesting and entertaining and enjoyable to read every time I go on long car trips. (though, I'll be glad when actually remember to pack extra batteries for my book light so I don't have to read by the light of my cell phone again...)

This book is best read AFTER you've read the other books in the series (and I heartily recommend the series anyway). The cast of prominent characters continues from the other books, as do the political schemes.

If you don't like the previous books in this series, then probably don't bother with this one.

I like it because it's very much the same style and subject as the others--as you read your brain has to work at making connections/reading into implications so you can guess the story ahead of time. Or, if you are more patient, you let yourself be content with not knowing what the heck those infuriatingly well placed hints mean until the characters choose to reveal them to you. I quite enjoy the style because (a) it takes some brain power to follow (b) it feels like you're really involved in the story...because the characters don't know all the twists and turns because of their limited view point, which puts you on the same footing as them, (c) something about Ms. Turner's writing style makes me feel so emotionally attached to the characters--I usually end up feeling like I will cry (ok, sometimes I have cried) because I care that much about the characters (how does she do that?!).

I'm asking for this set for Christmas. And if there is another book--I really, really hope there is--I hope it doesn't take very many years for it to be published.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Kings.