Jenny's Reviews > Ireland

F_50x66
Aug 30, 10

Recommended to Jenny by: Uncle Ken
Read in August, 2010

Neat way to review the history of Ireland from ancient times through 1916; it's all stories of the various historical events, woven together by another story. I enjoyed some of the narrators more than others.

--"The people we call "poets," by which I mean true, real poets--they're merely very keen listeners who've learned to recognize when a poem's dropping by. Then they copy down what the poem's telling them in their heads... No sooner do they listen out than a poem swoops down, whispers something to the top of their heads, and they feel it flowing down into their brain, down along their arms, into their fingers, and out onto the page in black letters." (p 186)

--"Just as Leary was about to say, "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about," the Wise Woman said to him, "You may not know what I'm talking about today, but you'll recongize it when it happens." (p 194)

--"The clerk barked like a dog--he was a North Tipperary man and they sound like that over there." (p 197)

--"But you've met him. And he's good company--he's the one told me the Jesuits have magnificent humility." The joke thawed Ronan." (p 328)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ireland.