Casey (A Passion for Books)'s Reviews > Gateway

4209856
Oct 11, 10

liked it
Read in October, 2009

I was looking forward to reading this since the first time I read the summary. The idea of traveling through gates to another world was very intriguing, but after reading Gateway, I feel sort of disappointed. To me, I think the story had good potential but halfway through it went flat. Don’t get me wrong, there were some good things about this novel too.

I really enjoyed Shinn’s writing style – the way she put her words together made the story flow nicely. The majority of the characters were well-developed and fun to read about. My favorite character was Kalen; he was a very outgoing, laid-back kind of person. I really enjoyed Daiyu’s character too, and I loved how she did what she thought was right and not what other people said was. Not that this has much to do with the book, but I really like the cover.

The main thing I didn’t like about this book, was the fact that the story just fell flat, for me. Like I mentioned before, Shinn had a story with potential. I would have liked to see a little more action – there was some action but only in the last quarter of the book. Most of the book was a little too slow paced for me, and I kept hoping that something exciting was going to happen, but it didn’t. Another thing was I thought Chenglei’s mysteriousness was great, but once Daiyu started to figure things out, I would have liked to see more interaction between the two. It was like the conflict started and then turn the page and it was over.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, despite some flaws. I do hope there will be a sequel because I felt that the book ended too soon, with some unanswered questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gateway.