Hava's Reviews > The Last Book In The Universe

The Last Book In The Universe by Rodman Philbrick

Aug 30, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: children-ya-book, depressing-books, fiction-book
Recommended for: teenage boys who love sci-fi
Read on August 18, 2010 , read count: 1

Such an interesting premise - a future without books. A future where everything you want to think or dream about is shot into your brain with a needle. When I first heard the idea behind this book, I was intrigued. I checked it out and read it that same day (it's a really easy read and I sped through it at lightning speed).

However, the book did not live up to its premise, at least to me. It was okay, and I can see how others would enjoy it more, but to me, it just wasn't my cup of tea. There was a lot of slang, a lot of violence, and the storyline seemed forced, like the author had come up with a really cool setting for a story (a post-apocalyptic world) and then had to come up with a story to fit into that setting.

It just didn't gel for me. I've always enjoyed apocalyptic stories (I think it's a fascinating look into how the author thinks, and I've always loved to play the 'what if' game) so I enjoyed that portion of the book. I think that the book just tried to fit too much in too small a space in order to keep from being overly long and scaring off its target audience. But in the process, the storyline felt under-developed and simply didn't do anything for me. If the author had spent more time building the story and the characters, that would have gone a long way with me.

IMHO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Book In The Universe.