Simeon's Reviews > Special Topics in Calamity Physics

Jan 19, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: utter-shite
Read in September, 2010

This is an excerpt of what is apparently Blue's father speaking:

"Always have everything you say exquisitely annotated, and, where possible, provide staggering Visual Aids, because, trust me, there will always be some clown sitting in the back—somewhere by the radiator—who will raise his fat, flipperlike hand and complain, 'No, no, you've got it all wrong."

This is taken at random, but Pessl's every sentence, even her father's words, have the exact same tint to them; the cutesy word choices and excess adjectives, falling from the mouth of a putatively wise old figure. Not to mention that the advice itself is patently obtuse. Really, nothing besides "Cross your t's and dot your i's"? Notice, that's what he said, but fewer words.

Later on:

While Dad and I learned that Mississippi had one of the best deer management programs in the country with a population of 1.75 million whitetailed deer (surpassed only by Texas), rescue crews were trying to extricate my mother's body from the totaled car with the Jaws of Life.

Cute. Some people enjoy this, and I don't exactly hate it, but it sounds like a voice-over from Forest Gump.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Topics in Calamity Physics.

Sarah "' it sounds like a voice-over from Forest Gump" Ha! Ha! That's brilliant. I'm among those who liked the book but I cannot disagree with your review.
I read it as a teenage girl with no specific hatred for adjectives, though. It may have helped my liking the book.