Bvg's Reviews > The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century

The Forger's Spell by Edward Dolnick

U 50x66
Aug 30, 10

Read in August, 2010

This book combines art, WWII and criminal history. For the most part, the author provides a variety of information in a thoroughly
entertaining way. In other words, the book has relatively (if any at all) dry (i.e. boring) spots. Some people might not appreciate the way he bounces from topic to topic but I believe that is what makes this book exciting. You can hardly wait to see what little nugget of info/trivia he will link into the overall topic of the Vermeer hoax.
My inexperienced eye could see the striking differences between the forgeries and Vermeer's style. The author did an excellent job of explaining how people, especially experts, were hoodwinked. My only knowledge of Vermeer was reading "The Girl with Pearl Earring" (which is an very good book.) After I read this book I found a wonderful Web site which (google the essential vermeer) which not only shows all of his paintings but provides good tidbits about each painting, as well as various cultural & historical facts. I wish I had known about this Web site when I was reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forger's Spell.