Lyndsey's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

May 30, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-2011, reviewed-5-stars, about-dystopia-or-utopia, pov-primarily-female, 1st-person, books-read-in-2012
Read from March 10 to 17, 2012, read count: 2

Warning!! SPOILERS AHEAD...

Well, kind of. No plot spoilers, just image spoilers.

Don't read on if you do not want to see images of the actors cast in the upcoming Hunger Games movies.

I am officially designating this review as my update central for casting on the Hunger Games. As new characters are cast, I will post the actor's pictures here along with the images I find that imitate how they might look as the character they will be playing.

LATEST UPDATES ON CASTING

WOWZA!

The best photoshopped pic I have seen of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss:

So we officially have our Peeta:

Okay, I just want to say that, while Josh is not what I had pictured, I trust those in charge. And Suzanne Collins gave her approval, so that in itself speaks volumes. Bottom-line is: Josh is workable. As long as they work with him to LOOK the part, and give him the eyes and most importantly the hair, I think he could be good.

And our Gale:

A little too pretty for my image of Gale. I also didn't picture Gale so beefy but instead trim and slim. Although for me, I was never too concerned with this role anyway. Gale never stood out to me as much as Peeta did in these books, so I would have been fine with nearly any choice. Once again, as long as they work their studio magic on his looks, he should do just fine.

Willow Shields as PRIMROSE EVERDEEN

Paula Malcomson (of SyFy's Caprica) as Mrs. Everdeen!

Elizabeth Banks will be playing Effie Trinket

Woody Harrelson is officially our HAYMITCH!!!

The guy is awesome. I think he will pull it off without effort.

Wes Bentley is Seneca Crane. Ummmmmm, yeah.

[image error]

If you ask me - this guy is way hotter than I ever thought Crane would be. Gah. He's frikkin hotter than the guy playing Peeta!

Ceasar Flickerman will be played by Stanley Tucci.

Excellent choice!

Meet Rue and Thresh!!

Amandla Stenberg and Dayo Okeniyi. They are perfect, and I am already getting emotional thinking about that infamous scene with Rue... *sigh*

We also have our District 1 tributes!! Leven Rambin as Glimmer and Jack Quaid as Marvel.

The unnamed District 3 Tributes have been cast: Ian Nelson and Kalia Prescott.

As far as the other characters, the news isn't out quite yet. It seems they will be looking for Prim and Haymitch soon. So I will post more info here once the news is out.

Let me know what you think of the re-imaginings of these actors in their new character roles!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Vinaya Nope, even photoshopping isn't going to make Hutcherson acceptable to me. I think the other two are okay, but somehow, I just picture Peeta as having this really sweet face, you know?

yeah, that would work...

Lyndsey Oh Vin, this would be a totally different kind of movie if Peeta was an orange tabby... Probably a not-legal kind of movie. XD

Jillian - All these pictures helped convince me. I find myself becoming more and more okay with the choices every day. So hopefully by the time the movies come out, I will be completely convinced.

Plus, we could have gotten so much worse...

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Apr 09, 2011 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica That pic of Jennifer as Katniss is awesome and even the photoshopped one of Peeta looks ok. I don't like Liam, though, and I totally agree with you. I pictured Gale as slim and not beefy.

Lyndsey I know, Jess. I don't think Liam is all that cute anyway, despite being the wrong body type. And the more I look at the Katniss pic, the more excited I am getting for the movie.

oliviasbooks Looks a bit like Bjoerk.

message 6: by Lyndsey (last edited Apr 09, 2011 04:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey Who - Gale? Yeah. He does, doesn't he?! LOL. I knew he looked too pretty.

OHHHHHH, you meant Katniss. Whoops.

Steph Sinclair I'm really unsure of the casting selection of Peeta. He just isn't what I pictured. But hopefully they can convince me otherwise. Every time I see him I think, "Cirque de Freak: Vampire Assistant." I really hated that movie. Lol.

That is a great photo-shopped pic of Jennifer. I wasn't sure about her at first. I was a Hallie supporter. Lol.

As for Gale, he looks so old!

Lissa Chandler Wow. i thought that the pick for Katniss was horrible, but I love how she looks in this picture. Now I can be excited about the movies!

Cammeron Kaiser I agree about gale, peeta was way more important than him to get right. I did find another pic of peeta that I thought looked fantastic!! not sure how to put it in my comment though...

Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal) J-Law was always Katniss to me once it was announced and I was happy about her acting abilities. Glad they'll be able to fix the looks right. Plus, I was happy about Josh being cast as Peeta, but a little wary of his looks like a lot of others. This picture puts my mind at ease - he IS PEETA for me now! Gale's casting is the only one that makes me go WTF??? Good thing he's not my fave character...still, WTF?

Lyndsey Yeah, I definitely saw Gale as lean. And Peeta a bit more filled out than Josh. Not chubby or anything. Just a bit softer than Josh looks.

Hilda Katniss is okay, I think. But, well... in my mind, Gale has always been the sturdy, and definitely lean guy. Hutcherson also needs to learn making a sweeter, puppy-looking eyes if he wants to play my Peeta. (uh oh, I'm getting possessive again)!

message 13: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Whoa Jennifer looks awesome! Liam is also an improvement, but I still pictured Gale hotter. Just my personal opinion. And Josh is alright, but put his picture and Jennifer's together and you'll wonder how in hell will that boy pick up that girl!

Kelli Lee I'm still not buying Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. He still looks like a Hobbit and with the blond locks - he's the Justin Bieber of the Shire.

Kelli Lee Is it me, or does Liam as Gale with the Thor hair look like Jared Padalecki?

message 16: by Lyndsey (last edited Apr 12, 2011 12:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey The Justin Beiber of the Shire!? Hahahaaaha! That's elfin hilarious.

And no, Jared Padalecki is way hotter then Liam. But Jensen is hotter than either.

Jessi Agree with the Jensen statement 100% !

Kelli Lee Oh, Jensen all the way. Totally agree. And I love "elfin" hilarious. Too funny. And speaking of Supernatural - our boys are finally back this Friday. It's been way too long!

Lyndsey Mmmmmm, Jensen. It has been way too long. Same with Damon, and I finally got that fix last week. Only two more days til more of him. *sigh*

Kelli Lee Is it me, or does Stefan appear to be a tad bit ill/underweight? I'm just sayin'. If the Salvatore brothers were offered to me, um, there wouldn't be a moment pondered over which to choose. I mean come on. Damon has it all. Until Jensen/Dean comes along and dusts him. I can get so geeky at times.

Lyndsey He's definitely lost a ton of weight since the first season. I though he looked better back then, though. He and Elena have zero chemistry on screen though. I want her and Damon to hook up soooooo bad.

Seriously though, he has nothing on Damon/Ian. In real life OR on the show. It's no contest.

Kelli Lee Elena needs to quit feeding stefan (spelling?) droplets of her blood (so lame), leave him, and go to a real man - Damon. I mean, come on now. Damon/Ian has it all. I question why I still watch the show. On a side note: I follow Ian on twitter and he is an animal activist (love), environmental activist (love), and his profile pic is of him and his cat (wow!).

message 23: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val (Sorry I can't stay out of any conversation that includes Damon or Smolderhalder!). Elena and Stefan are SO boring. Now, Katherine and Stefan.. that's another thing. Damon and Katherine are the 'fun' characters, so they should mix them up: boring+fun and so on so that there's some spark... that'd leave us with Katherine with Stefan and Damon with Elena ;) That said, Jared Padalecki as Gale.. would've been an interesting thought. At least I'd have some eye candy!

Kelli Lee Val wrote: "(Sorry I can't stay out of any conversation that includes Damon or Smolderhalder!)"

Smolerhalder - good one. Now, if Padalecki was Peeta, I'd be a happy girl.

As far as Haymitch - someone on Mockingjay.net suggested Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Genius! He is total eye-candy. And seeing how the rest of the cast isn't really true to form, why not cast him?

Lyndsey Gasp!! Jeffery Dean Morgan would be PERFECT for Haymitch! Now, I'm going to be sad if he isn't. :-(

Val, I agree! Kat and Stefan would be way more interesting than him and Elena. Plus, I want Damon with Elena.

message 26: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina I heard people throwing around Kristin Chenowith as Effie. I think that would be a good fit as well. Although as I listened to the books (i 'read' them on audio) I kept picturing Christine Baranski as Effie.

message 27: by Lyndsey (last edited Apr 14, 2011 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey I think either would be good but I adore Kristin. I don't know how old Effie is supposed to be though.

message 28: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina They have officially cast Thresh and Rue. They are both unknowns. The actress playing Rue looks adorable!

message 29: by Lyndsey (last edited Apr 18, 2011 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey I know! I saw that - I think they are both excellent choices. The girl has been in some commercials that I've remembered seeing. I love her!!

Lyndsey Oooh! Elizabeth Banks is a decent Effie, though I pictured her as older. Hopefully we will get more news this week. I want to know about Haymitch and Prim!!

Kelli Lee Elizabeth Banks as Effie - I approve casting people. And I'm happy about Rue. I'm just thankful it wasn't Willow Smith. That's all I'm gonna say.

Lyndsey I was worried that Willow might "hair whip" the producers until they hired her. Hehe, I wonder if she realizes that she'll probably never escape from that song.

Kelli Lee Lyndsey wrote: "I was worried that Willow might "hair whip" the producers until they hired her."

Ha Ha. Maybe the producers/writers will incorporate "I whip my hair . . ." into Annie. She can whip it back and forth while she mops the floors in the orphanage.

Lyndsey LOL, Kelly!! I didn't know she was doing Annie. I actually kinda like the idea, as long as she can pull off those big songs and they don't like digitize her voice and make all the songs have the background track of "whip my hair" or anything like that. It could be good.

Haley i'm also not sure about josh playing peeta, because i've had a list of the guys that i like for that role and i admit he wasn't there.. but maybe the ones who casted him have better judgment, and maybe josh can make it and deserves that role..i'm hoping he'll be the peeta that i love in the books..

Kelli Lee Lyndsey wrote: "LOL, Kelly!! I didn't know she was doing Annie. I actually kinda like the idea, as long as she can pull off those big songs and they don't like digitize her voice and make all the songs have the ba..."

Oh, you know there will be some auto-tuning and then some goin' on. IMHO, some movies should be left alone - like Annie and Mary Poppins (yes, they are talking about redoing that one as well). We'll see. You have such a positive outlook. I like it. It needs to transfer from cyberland to me right now ; )

Kelli Lee Oh, and I forgot to add the most important to the do not redo movie list - the Buffy reboot sans amazingly awesome - we're talking made of awesomesauce - Joss Whedon. Nuff said!

message 38: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel did you see that elizabeth banks was cast as effie?

Lyndsey Is it official now, Joel? Earlier she was just "in talks".

message 40: by Alexa (last edited Apr 20, 2011 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa Did you guys see Prim?

Willow Shields

message 41: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Davids I think its official, I like it, like it.

Lyndsey Yeah, I saw that too, Alexa. I was trying to find a better picture of Willow. That one isn't great, but it's pretty much the best I've seen so far.

Tatiana Does this girl have a unibrow?

Lyndsey Yep. That's why I was looking for a different picture. I definitely didn't picture Prim with a unibrow. Ah well, maybe Team Katniss will get a hold of her with the tweezers.

Christina White yeah.. that's better.. but she still doesn't look hungry enough..lol

Alexa Lyndsey wrote: "Ah well, maybe Team Katniss will get a hold of her with the tweezers."

LMAO!

Morgan F I was thinking the same thing! (about the unibrow)

Lyndsey She is pretty young to have that much eyebrow hair. I didn't have to start tweezing until I was like 16 or 17.

Lyndsey But I did know a girl who had to start shaving her legs at eleven. Everyone is different, I guess.

Morgan F Lyndsey wrote: "But I did know a girl who had to start shaving her legs at eleven. Everyone is different, I guess."

I could have started tweezing my eyebrows at any time, but I didn't start getting them waxed until I was twelve.

I started shaving my legs at 11 too.......

I'm Italian.