Sally's Reviews > Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned

Don't Know Much About Mythology by Kenneth C. Davis

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: classics, contemporary, essays, european, historical, non-fiction, mythological, religion
Read from August 30 to September 19, 2010

Very instructive book, though not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a collection of world-wide myths but instead found it to be a history of myths - the author gives the textbook history of a specific group of people or region, the history of the discovery of the myths, and then sprinkles in some of the stories, and finally puts in notes about how the "myths" could be related to factual events. Instead of sitting at the feet of a story-teller, I found myself in a lecture hall with a very well-read professor - or that's one way to explain it.

This would be an excellent book for anyone interested in anthropology or a general knowledge of world myths. I quite enjoyed it, but would never add it to my personal library or read through it more than once.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Know Much About Mythology.

08/30/2010 page 16