Joseph's Reviews > Marching Powder

Marching Powder by Rusty Young

Aug 30, 10

Read in September, 2010

this book was riveting.
ever since working in jails, i've always been curious about jails in other countries. after having watched a national geographic episode about jails in peru and mexico, i was even more interested. this book tells a "real life" account of one drug smuggler's life inside of a bolivian prison . . . that's actually not a prison. it's a large housing complex with its own innerworkings, economy, drug factories, and apartments to rent. amazingly, there are several parallels to this type of life and street life.
at times i was a bit suspect of the book and the ways that the protagonist described many of his interactions with the "system." however, it's up there with "papillon," as one of my favorite quasi-autobiographical jail novels.
the pictures lend credence to the protagonist's experience. my favorite: crack cat--the cat hooked on cocaine base that hates everyone around it until it can inhale its byproduct.
a must read for those who are involved in custody, international relations, or psychology.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marching Powder.

message 1: by Bel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bel Vidal and for those, like me, who were born and raised in Bolivia. I have no problem with the depiction of the Jail - all of it is true. What bothers me are comments such - 'all bolivians use cocaine, how could you not, when a gram is cheaper than a beer' or 'because of the lack of oxigen, Bolivian brains don't develop properly'. That - I have a problem with.