Emilia P's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour

Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Aug 30, 10

Read from August 28 to 29, 2010

Oh Scotty Scott Scott.
You got me, babe. So I was all embittered towards both the film and by extension this book, because I was all He's Gone Commercial! He's Totally Full of Himself! The franchise is devouring itself like the snake eating it's tail!

So:
I let this hatred and dismay boil inside me for like a month, and then I had to choose between seeing SP or Step Up 3D at the movie theater and yes, I chose SP. And the floodgates opened, and the love and confusion I had had came rushing back, basically against my will, and I was like OK I give up Scott Pilgrim, even though you remind me of every boy I know in your learned helplessness, joy in patheticness, waiting for women to take care of you and never even considering that you should help them out too. It reminds me of a great picture I had of a big lady carrying an emo guy from the BUST magazine. Sadly, all too close to lots of dudes expectations. ANYWAYS.

But just like many strong-minded girls, I'm drawn to, repulsed by, and used to this way of being, and so, Scott, you win, you totally win. You make me laugh out loud and be totally sad at the same time. The book wrapped up differently than the film in some good ways -- and seeing the movie did remind me of how much better the book was (even though I liked the movie!) and the drawing style was clearer and more expressive than I had remembered it, and I think, since I've read slightly more manga since I started reading SP, it made more sense why he manga-fied his world.

In the end, spoiler, things work out ok, because Scott realizes that everybody makes tons of relationship mistakes and you gotta start out from where you are, and you gotta jump into the void holding hands. It's kinda beautiful, and apt. Reluctantly, I should probably go back and read the whole series. Yes. Thanks a lot, Bradley.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad I totally loved the movie. And liked this book. And I completely understand what you're saying about the annoying, unnecessary heroism of Scott.