Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Games Bible: The Ultimate Gamebook for Grown-ups: 307 Games to Put the Fun Back in Parties!

The Games Bible by Leigh Anderson

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, reference, social-culture, reviewed, from-a-p
Recommended for: any adult or older teen who enjoys playing games; families; for parties & get togethers
Read from September 20 to October 09, 2010

An admission: I did not read every single word of this book, although I did read most of it. I do often read my reference books cover to cover, particularly my cookbooks.

I am thrilled to have this book, even though my two main game playing loving friends now both live in other states. There are some instructions for games to be played by oneself, and I do have some opportunities to play games with others, so I will be periodically using this book. I think the way to have the most fun with the book would be for more than one person to peruse it and then deciding together what game(s) to play.

So, while I enjoyed reading this, it turns out that I learn and have my memory refreshed best by fellow players teaching/reminding me, and by actually playing the games. Reading the instructions, particularly for games I don’t know, including the included newly invented games, was not the best way for me to learn.

But, this is a fantastic resource and it’s very cool that new games are included. I can see using this as a reference if I’m about to play particular games and want to refresh my memory, want to suggest a new game to a friend or group of friends. All sorts of games are included, including non-traditional and non-competitive games, and in the appendix there are even game necessities that can be photocopied, cut out, and used to play certain games. There is a good index and an incredibly helpful list of games by category in the back of the book.

This book would make a terrific gift for any adult or older teen if they enjoy games. Many of the games are perfectly appropriate for children too, and some are even considered children’s games. It’s a great book for families to have. It’s a perfect party book too.

It’s jam packed with so many games and types of games. There’s something for just about everyone. To whet your appetite:

Contents:

Appendix
Acknowledgements
Games by Category
Index

Categories are: Athletic Games; Cocktail Party Games; Family Games; Games Best Played with Strangers; Games for Quiet, Small Groups; Games for the Waiting Room; Geeky Games; New Games; Noncompetitive Games; Online Games; Silly Games; Theatrical Games; Travel Games.

And I must note that each chapter/category contains quite a few games.

There are no photos or pictures of the game process for any of the games, and for a certain percentage of games I would have found them helpful.

I must add that I have a copy of the book that has the same ISBN as this edition, but it has a different cover, and is titled: The Games Bible. On the cover it says: Over 300 Games – The Rules, The Gear, The Strategies, and it has other info on the cover page too. It has only 390 pages. It’s got the same publisher and an August 2010 publication date. It looks as though it’s a ARC type edition that came out immediately prior to the book with the September 2010 publication date. I like my copy!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Games Bible.

09/20/2010 page 1
0.0% "My edition has 390 pages and a different cover, and the subtitle: Over 300 Games - The Rules, the Gear, the Strategies. But, the same ISBN as this edition with this cover. Scanner is on the blitz so I'll shelve this one. The book just came."

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam My game-playing friends all live far away, as well. I've been tempted to get an iPhone just for Words with Friends (aka Scrabble).

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Sounds super fun!

Lisa Vegan Ann, It is. Lots of fun games not typically seen.

Miriam, I have an iPhone and one of my friends has an iPod that needs wireless, but we never seem to play games. And both friends and I have facebook and one tried to get me to play Scrabble there, but somehow for me, it's just not the same thing.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam No, but it would be better than nothing. Also, better than helping my coworkers find higher-scoring words while repressing the desire to sneer at the poverty of their vocabularies.

Lisa Vegan Miriam wrote: "No, but it would be better than nothing. Also, better than helping my coworkers find higher-scoring words while repressing the desire to sneer at the poverty of their vocabularies."

Ha!

message 6: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn This sounds great! Would most of the games work for two players? My husband and I are always looking for new games to play and this would be much less expensive than buying several board games/card games. The party games would be great for parties, too, though!

Lisa Vegan There were enough games that would work for 2 players, although a large number of them are designed for groups.

message 8: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Thanks! (By the way, sorry for my delay in responding to so many of your comments. For some reason, a big bunch of GoodReads stuff went to my SPAM folder--no idea why!)

Lisa Vegan Occasionally, I have legitimate emails go to my spam folder. I'm so quick with the delete all spam button that I sometimes see wanted emails getting trashed when it's too late to save them.

message 10: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Oh, gosh! That is too bad. I'm glad I checked mine first!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Oh, gosh! That is too bad. I'm glad I checked mine first!"

Me too. I try to remember to do that, but it's so automatic with me. I've got to do better. I've had several instances where I've hit delete and, as they're disappearing, I see one or more important, or at least wanted, emails.

message 12: by Nina Gayle (new) - added it

Nina Gayle I have the same edition as you.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Nina Gayle wrote: "I have the same edition as you."

Have you read it yet? If so, what do you think? Do you think you'll play games new to you from it?