Michael Alexander's Reviews > Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy

Feeling Good by David D. Burns

Aug 30, 10

A pile of Seneca, a dollop of Zhuangzi, some good takedowns of Freud and Skinner, some 7th grade reading level and a lot of charts. Put it together, and you get the surprisingly functional methodology that is CBT. Feeling Good is exactly the self-help book one would imagine when reading the phrase "drug-semi skeptic psychiatrist with long history of clinical work writes highly structured, accessible cognitive therapy book for the lay audience." If that sounds a little less than utterly transformative, you're right; but if it sounds very workmanlike, kinda friendly and very functional, you're right too. Just stick to the chapters about people with your disorders, because the advice totally can flip around all sophistically if you're on the other end of the mood spectrum.

Oh, I forgot the great takedown of all this "you will run the world and it is the only way to live" ideology that infested my prep and ivy league educations. That actually is very comforting. Sometimes I forget how it oozed into me despite my rejecting it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feeling Good.