Jennifer's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Jan 07, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Terry S.
Recommended for: people who are annoyed by Anne Rice
Read in April, 2008

Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress at Merlotte's, a bar in small-town Lousiana and though she is fine to look at, she has a "disability" that makes her dating life nonexistent. She can hear others' thoughts and, as you might imagine, this makes relationships difficult. Until one day, a handsome man named Bill walks into the bar and his thoughts are blissfully unavailable to her. The only problem is . . . he's a vampire.

This novel, the first in a series, creates an alternative world where vampires exist and they have recently "come out of the crypt," so to speak. They live amongst humans though the relationships between human/vampire are not always stress or violence free. Rather than a supernatural noir, the tone of this book is sort of a supernatural southern gothic (with a nice dose of humor).

Sookie raises small town eyebrows when she starts dating Bill (interracial dating?) but their relationship soon hits a bigger snag. Someone is killing young women who have dallied with vampires and suspicions are starting to turn toward Bill.

I enjoyed this book far more than I thought I would. Originally, I wondered if this series was simply treading ground already walked by Laurel K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, etc. However, Harris makes this world her own and I'm planning to keep reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.