Barb's Reviews > Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

Aug 30, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: biography-memoirs-non-fiction, self-help-books
Read in August, 2010

At the beginning of this audio he explains why you would pay over $4.00 for a coffee after you've tried it compared to when you thought the cheaper under $1.00 coffee was just fine before. It explains how we pick the product we do and how retailers stear you to the one they really want you to buy. Basically, playing mind games with you, and I guess they figure it works. Another part he talks about is if you want to attract attention to yourself (finding a partner) take along a friend who has the same features and body type as you but who is less attractive than you. The mind tends to go for the one who looks better. But, he goes onto say, you may start to wonder then when asked to go along somewhere if they are doing it because maybe they feel they are more attactive than you. Kind of like that TV show where the guy was talking about how to get dates by taking someone with them as a wingman/woman. The name of the TV show escapes me right now. It goes on about why we do the things we do, the way we pick out stuff we buy, etc. It's interesting to listen to. Not sure it will change anything in your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Predictably Irrational.