Jessica's Reviews > Hold Still

Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Aug 29, 15

bookshelves: 2011-reading-challenge, coming-of-age, favorites, love-story, tragic, young-adult, review, diversity-read
Read from April 23 to June 02, 2011

See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

Deep, emotional, touching. It started off slow, but once I was in the middle, I was hooked. The story played out beautifully as Caitlin faced her grief: reading Ingrid’s diary, facing Ingrid’s crush, facing her and Ingrid’s photography teacher. You ache for her friend and Caitlin as she tries to understand and move on. You know at some point in the story you will cry. There was a loss, a huge loss, and when you see how deeply it hurts more people than just Caitlin, it makes you realize how important each one of us is. When you cry, it’s not because of the loss, it’s because of the rebirth of everyone who loved Ingrid. The point where they all get to see what an impact has been made.

I also loved the whole tree house thing. It was one of my aspirations for someday--to build a huge tree house. I never got to have one when I was a kid.

Extraordinarily and beautifully written. The feelings were made heartbreakingly clear. The way it ends leaves you at peace, and the character and story stays with you a long while after. It’s still with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Still.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Nina LaCour
“I’ll make a swing so I can reach the places I can’t reach yet.”

Nina LaCour
“Sometimes inspiration strikes; other times you have to hunt it down.”

Nina LaCour
“There are so many things that I want so badly to tell you but I just can't.”

Nina LaCour
“You might be looking for reasons but there are no reasons.”

04/27/2011 page 14