Kristin (Beneath Shining Stars, I Read)'s Reviews > Passion Play

Sep 22, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 20 to 22, 2010

Just won a copy from Goodreads First Reads and I'm so excited! <3

eta; My copy arrived today (9/20/2010); so now I'm off to start reading!

Ilse (Therez) Zhalina is to be wed--or rather sold as a bride--to Theodr Galt by her father's command; only, upon being told of this plan, she decides that she'd rather run away than marry Galt--whom frightens her. She leaves home and changes her name to Ilse and once on the road, she loses her money and valuables and has to resort to other means to attempt to keep from falling back into her father's hands. However, to do so, she is forced to sell the one thing she has left, her body. Once free of this (saved by a stone knife), she wanders for a while, in search of work and for a while, finds none.

Finally, she falls upon Raul Kosenmark's doorstep--rather literally--and begins work as a scullery maid. From there, she becomes Raul's secretary's undersecretary and gains his trust--and grows up considerably. Needless to say, she falls in love with him and the sentiment is shared. By the end of the book, they're forced to part ways in an attempt to further their goals (finding Lir's jewels and stopping a war).

I really enjoyed reading Passion Play and adored the fact that both mythos and past lives were entwined into the story. With the way the book ended, I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment of this series!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passion Play.

09/22/2010 page 360