Lindsey's Reviews > Waking the Witch

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

Aug 30, 10

I been a follower of Kelley Armstrong since I came upon the first novel in her Women of the Otherworld series Bitten about nine years ago. Each novel is well written and executed with the perfect balance of plot/character description and dialog that enables you to invest yourself in the main characters beyond the duration of each book. In Stolen, the second book in the series, we are introduced to Savannah, when the main character of the novel, Elena, is captured and imprisoned along with other supernaturals. Savannah has periodically been mentioned in subsequent novels in the series, but nine books later she becomes the protagonist as she sets out to solve a supernatural murder mystery.

This book was almost everything I expected of a Kelly Armstrong novel. Unraveling the mystery alongside Savannah was addictive and as always the mention of other beloved characters in the series had me gobbling up the pages like a book junkie. The pace of this novel was fairly even keel with a few instances of suspense and anticipation as the plot thickens and the mystery unfolds. I particularly enjoy Savannah's tough-as-nails outward appearance coupled with hints that she is a much softer person on the inside. Waking the Witch was an excellent story on its own but having an understanding of Savannah's life growing up (as read in other books in the series) enhanced my enjoyment and understanding of the story.

Each of Kelley Armstrong's novels introduces and explores a new love interest for the main character. In this novel Savannah makes it clear that she has been interested in being more then just friends with supernatural half-demon, Adam Vasic, but she believes he still sees her as the young ward of his friends Page and Lucas. Adam is not the main love interest for Savannah in Waking the Witch, yet I felt that the the display of Adam's over protectiveness hinted that he may be realizing that Savannah isn't a little girl anymore. That dear readers is why Waking the Witch fell just short of perfection for me! I wanted MORE growth in the romantic department between Savannah and Adam. With that said the ending of this novel left things wide open for the next novel both in increasing the readers interest in Savannah and in the possibility of something "more" developing between her and Adam.

Waking the Witch was an excellent addition to the Women of the Otherworld series, primarily because I felt that Savannah has deserved her own book for some time now. If your already a fan of the Otherworld series I think you'll be pleased with this addition, but if this is the first time hearing about author Kelley Armstrong or this series I recommend you check out the first novel, Bitten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking the Witch.