Jeanne's Reviews > Iron Lake

Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: minnesota, jeanne-and-corky-s-2011-list, mystery
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 01, 2011

This is the first in a series of mysteries featuring Corcoran “Cork” O’Connor. A former sheriff living in his hometown of Aurora, MN, Cork is sucked into a murder mystery/missing person case.

While trying to find out who killed a local prominent judge, Cork discovers all sorts of wrongdoing in town. Add that to the town’s conflict with the Native American community and Cork’s failed marriage, and you’ve got one tangled mess. It’s almost too complicated. And since it’s the first novel in a series, we spend way too much time on Cork’s past.

Despite its failings (too long, too complicated, and an unappealing protagonist), I zoomed through this mystery. Krueger presented a great setting and some interesting plot twists and turns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Lake.

Corky I have this book on my shelf too! I have signed copy I got at Bouchercon when I met him. He was at CHI in 05 and Indy in 09.

Jeanne Have you read it?

Corky not yet - was thinking I should read it along with you. I know he is local to St Paul

Jeanne Shall we save it for 2011? 6 Indiana authors and 6 Minnesota authors?

Corky Oh I like that idea - as long as it is fiction!!!

Jeanne Only fiction. I promise! Start researching your authors. I already have some in mind.

Corky me too

Corky wow that was fast!!! I'll get to it later this week - got another short fiction I should finish today.

Jeanne Yes, it was fast. The weather was not so great here, so I decided to read. A lot.

Corky we have had Maya with us since Thursday so that has cut down my time somewhat