J.A. Saare's Reviews > Personal Demons

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Sep 19, 2010

bookshelves: to-read

I loved this book -- absolutely LOVED it. At first I was dissapointed that we never hear from Gabe (the narrative is 1st person through Luc and Frannie) but that is explained as the story progresses.

I can't wait for future installments in this series. Luc, hands down, stole my heart. He's hot, sexy, and dangerous as sin.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Demons.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I started this book & stopped. Don't know why (burnt out on YA maybe), but after seeing your review, I think I'll go back. :)

J.A. Saare I'll be honest -- it was slow starting. It wasn't until halfway through that things really get interesting and the way things go I can honestly say I NEVER saw coming. Let me know what you think! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead LOL- you know I will. I hate when I stop a book but sometimes I don't think I'm in a "mood" for that book and I'm not giving it a fair chance. I've heard such good reviews on this book, I need to go back to it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Ok, you were right. I swear I was going to put the book down due to pure cheeziness (is that technically a word) even though I knew I was close to the 100 page mark. I was seriously trying to figure out how this book could possibly improve to the point of me liking it. But you were right! Now I'm on page 150 and I'd admit, it is very good.

J.A. Saare LOL! Some of the comments Luc makes about Hell (example: Frannie says, "Go to Hell," to one of her friends and Luc smiles, because he thinks it's cute she's inviting her friends along, etc) got pretty tongue in cheek. Some were okay, but they were very noticable and I'm sure that when the author wrote them, she got a chuckle out of it.

To be fair -- I can't say much. There are a lot of people who think Rhiannon's inner dialogue is/was cheesy. I suppose it's all a matter of taste. :)

I'm SOOOO glad you like it. I'm curious to see what you think when you finish. You must tell me.

And I have a confession. *hides* I dropped the book you gave me into the tub when I was taking a bath. It is currently in the freezer being saved (the water will dehydrate in roughly two weeks time). I want to read it so bad, but that's what I get for reading in the tub! ;)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead J.A. wrote: "LOL! Some of the comments Luc makes about Hell (example: Frannie says, "Go to Hell," to one of her friends and Luc smiles, because he thinks it's cute she's inviting her friends along, etc) got pre..."

Ok, so what happens when people open your freezer and they read the title of the book? LMAO, oh that is too funny.

It's funny you would say that about Rhiannon's inner dialogue, I never once thought it was cheesy and for the life of me, can't remember any parts that other people would find cheesy. It amazes me how people can interpret the same book in so many ways. I had an author email me telling me I was "snarky" in my reviews. I said "thank you" until I realized she didn't mean it as a compliment. OH Well! LOL. You can't please everyone.

J.A. Saare You can't please everyone.

This is so true. I once tried but have since given up. I just thank those who get what I'm putting out there and avoid (or if I can't, thank them too and try to move on) those who don't.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I would hate to have my work constantly under such scrutiny. I know I would probably break too easily. I'm too much of a softie, the first time someone gave me a bad rating, I'd throw up my hands, stop writing & go cry on someone's shoulder. It's a cowards life for me.

On the other hand, being a wimp gives me an appreciation for new & struggling authors, they are doing something that I could never do- risk the wrath of the anonymous reviewer. Especially now w/ blogs and the multiple book sites, one bad review for a new author is tough.

Wow, I seriously need to stop rambling today. Blah! LOL

J.A. Saare You're not rambling. And it isn't fun or easy. I remember when I started, I braced myself for the fall and was shocked when so many people liked Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between. It took off in ways that no one imagined. Unfortunately (and believe me, I am NOT complaining!) there are positives and negatives. While some love the book, some hate it. Some of the reasons are legit (the editing... I can't say much here, but I'm aware of it and I'm absolutely embarrassed by it) but others are the result of being green. I wrote the book entirely for "me" without any consideration for publishing. It wasn't until after I'd written Crimson Moon, Crimson Sunrise, Dead, and Eternity and a Day that my mother in law started reading my stuff and pushed me to give it a shot.

You have to have a thick skin to be any kind of person who puts their creative work out there. I just try to remember that I don't like everything I read and that people are going to feel that way about my work.

I did a Vlog on that actually. Not sure if you saw lol.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I saw the still frame but my work won't run the Vlog's (my IT department has too much time on their hands creating new restrictions to what we can and cannot do while at work). I'm going to check it out when I get home!

I said this before but you have the coolest mom-in-law. Lucky you!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Desrochers Thanks for the great review, J.A. And I enjoyed reading your running dialogue. I'm glad you got the humor in the fun I had with cliches in this book. Not everyone appreciated it. And, as for the thick skin, I'm still working on that. =)

message 12: by J.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.A. Saare Wow. Hi, Lisa. ;-)

I really enjoyed your book, so much so that I've started pimping it to family and friends. I LOVED Luc. Not that Gabe wasn't captivating in his own right, but there is just something so incredibly sinful about the bad boy.

I have to give you kudos as well. The mythos, world build -- all of it -- was rocking. Once I hit page 100 I was off, and I didn't want to put it down. The characters are unforgettable and I can't wait to learn what happens next.

And don't worry -- you'll get rave reviews. I just know it. :)