Lyndsey's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Oct 18, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-2010, reviewed-4-stars, genre-urban-fantasy
Read from October 17 to 18, 2010

This is kinda like a cross between Buffy and The Mortal Instruments series.

Despite the girl on the cover, I couldn't help but picture Sarah Michelle Gellar in the role (younger though, considering Evie is just 16). Her attitude and quirks remind me very much of the early years of Buffy, though obviously nowhere near up to the genius level of Joss Whedon. No offense.

Evie is a seemingly one-of-a-kind bagger and tagger of paranormals imbued with a special ability that helps her track them down. She works for the IPCA, International Paranormal Containment Agency, who keeps tabs on all paranormal activity.

She has a weapon that she calls by a pet name, Tasey, reminiscent of Buffy's Mr Pointy. Not to mention, the love interest with an angelic face and a dark side; although, this one happens to be a faerie. Then there's the other love interest who is not quite human and the paranormal best friend.

There's also a blonde evil girl who is obsessed with "shiny" things. I always picture the key-obsessed Glory from Buffy season five.

Oh and there's also the middle aged man obsessed with medieval culture who trains her in combat skills, although he really only shows up at the beginning.

Sound familiar? Despite it's similarities to a certain previously named pop culture icon, the characters are very easy to fall for. And if you like said vampire slaying goddess, you will love Evie (who job doesn't involve slaying per se, just containment).

She also has eyebrow envy like Clary from the Mortal Instruments. It's not exactly central to the story, but it gave me a bit of Deja Vu.

This was a first novel and usually it is obvious. The story overall was a light read and mildly exciting. Not near as much so as Buffy or Mortal Instruments, but reminiscent of both (some might say copycat). Even if you aren't familiar with those, you might still enjoy this book. Especially if you're into paranormal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

10/17/2010

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, you like Whedon. Did you like Dollhouse? Because I get mixed feelings on that show from fellow Whedon fans...

message 2: by Lyndsey (last edited Feb 17, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey I liked Dollhouse a lot in the second season actually. It really started hitting it's stride then. But the first season, not so much. I didn't like Echo at first. It took a while but she grew on me.

Lyndsey I still think nothing can top Buffy or Firefly, though.

Chichipio Yeah, definitely the second season. The show got a lot better after they stopped trying to make it procedural.

As much as I like Eliza, she just didn't sell me all the different personalities. So, yeah, I didn't like Echo much until she started to pretend being imprinted.

Of all the dolls, the only one who seemed believable to me was the guy playing Victor. His Topher was even more hilarious than the original!

BTW, this is a L*ndsey overload.

Vinaya Aaaand, Buffy makes an appearance! I think I'm going to keep track of how many of your reviews DON'T have Buffy references! Are there any?!

message 6: by Lyndsey (last edited Feb 17, 2011 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyndsey Chichipio - Yeah, that was my problem. I loved all the side characters waaaaay more then the main. Victor and Topher were the best!! Then when Summer Glau made an appearance, I was like "hell yeah". Lol on the L*ndsey overload. My life story. In a class of like 45, there were 5 of us, all with different spellings at my school.

And Vinaya - I have a couple without Buffy references. Ummmmm, let me think. Oh! 1984 doesn't. I think.

message 7: by Mayomi (new) - added it

Mayomi Awesome review Lyndsey. I really cant wait to read this.

Lyndsey Thanks Mayomi! It was a really light and fluffy read. Nothing intense. Just fun.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyndsey wrote: "I liked Dollhouse a lot in the second season actually. It really started hitting it's stride then. But the first season, not so much. I didn't like Echo at first. It took a while but she grew on me."

I had issues with a few of the characters. I wasn't sure about the whole jumping to the future in the season finale of season one. He knew at that point the show was on thin ice from what I read in blogs. So, I'm not sure why he took a whole show to that level when he had limited story telling room as it was.

I haven't seen season 2 yet *pouts* I'm having a hell of a time hunting it down.

And I TOTALLY agree about Firefly, huge, GIANT! BIG FAN! of Firefly!!!!! I was one of the blog ragers when it was canceled! I fell off the Buffy train for awhile, I have been trying to collect the seasons that I missed when I traveled over seas during that time. My library isn't stocked on a whole lot so the waiting time is ENDLESS!

Lyndsey Netflix instant - they have all 7 seasons of Buffy and all 5 of Angel. I literally just watched Firefly on Netflix yesterday. I think they have Dollhouse as well, but I haven't looked. Netflix is amazing!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

See I keep saying we need Netflix, I'm going to go manipulate my husband into getting it now! Then I don't have to wait ages for stuff at the library anymore!

I've seen ALL of Angel, I own Firefly <---- that was like not even negotiable lol

I'm at season 5 of Buffy.

Dollhouse I'm not eager to watch because I know it was given a poor shot to begin with NEVER put new shows on Friday people! Its all about the Monday time slot!

Lyndsey Buffy seasons 5 and 6 are my favorite! But I definitely recommend Netflix. I don't even have cable anymore, I just wait til stuff is released on Netflix or til it gets cheap on DVD.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Stuff is SOOOOO cheap on DVD!

I'm not sure why, that's not really the best way to get people onto Blue ray by making DVDs like 5-9 dollars. I just bought a ton this weekend!

I'm gonna look into Netflix for sure!Thanks Lyndsey! =)

Colette-writer-reader-dork Yes, I am not the only person who saw the Buffy similarities (maybe it's because I have been watching Buffy since I was five..)

Heather Tregaskes Ok, I have to say this to someone and since you're obviously a Buffy fan too, you get to hear it. Lucky you! Vivian totally reminded me of Glory from season 5. And once I got that in my head, all her lines were said in her voice.

Lyndsey I know! That's all I could think of everytime she showed up. :-)