Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > The Jewel of St. Petersburg

The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall

Aug 31, 2010

Read from August 30 to 31, 2010 — I own a copy

The Good Stuff

* Exciting opening chapter, grabs your attention and makes you want to keep reading
* Descriptions of the scenery are breathtakingly written, you feel you could reach out and touch the landscape
* Epic story up there with Gone with the Wind, The Thorn Birds, etc. If this isn't made into a movie I will be totally surprised
* Couldn't put the book down and now I am dying to get my hands on a copy of The Russian Concubine
* Realistic characters dealing with horrendous choices and struggling in a changing world
* Author really lets you see both sides of the revolution with very little sympathy or judgment for either side

The Not so Good Stuff

* A little dry in spots, but not overly so
* After exciting first 2 chapters, it dies a little and takes a little while to get going again. Don't give up though, it really does grab you again

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"It was something by Chopin, one of his least favorite composers, always so plaintive, so full of despair, whining in your ear like a cat in heat."

"The truth of what a person believed and the truth of what they said were two different things. There was no hard-and fast line to draw under it because it shifted between shadows and sunlight."

"What kind of justice was that? What kind of equality, the weak devoured by the strong?"

What I Learned

* A lot about Russian history
* About both sides of revolution
* War is hell and no one ever wins -- well I already knew that -- why the hell can't anyone learn from history

Who should/shouldn't read

* Lovers of historical fiction, especially early 1900 Russian history will enjoy
* Lovers of epic emotionally rich stories will also love
* Trying to think of who wouldn't like this kind of story, probably those who need non stop action might be disappointed

4.5 Deweys
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of St. Petersburg.

08/30/2010 page 68