Mark Fallon's Reviews > The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

The River of Doubt by Candice Millard

Jan 07, 2008

Read in January, 2008

Theodore Roosevelt is my personal historical hero. He acomplished more in his "strenuous life" than most people even dream about. He was a Progressive liberal who championed personal responsibility, an ardent militant who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for stopping an ongoing war. He read and wrote constantly.

At a time when most men would have sought out retirement, he took on one last, great adventure - travelling and mapping out the "River of Doubt", a tributary of the Amazon River in Brazil. The expedition almost killed him and his party, and the river was renamed "Rio Roosevelt" in his honor.

Millard, a former National Geographic editor, has produced a well-resarched and wonderfully written account of TR's journey. If you are a fan of TR's, a naturalist, an adventure-lover, or just reader loking for a good book, then I highly recommend "River of Doubt".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The River of Doubt.

Connie Hi Mark,
I too am a "fan" of TR. I am currently on my 4th biography on him. He always comes across as a force to be reckoned with, an enigma as well as an irritant of his class. Personally I believe that most charasmatic people (which I defintiely believe he was) are self-promoters as well. He craved and sought attention but I still find him likeable in spite of his shortcomings. He is one of those people on my "If I could meet..." list. I am constanly amazed at how well-read people were back then compared to today!

Mark Fallon Hi Connie,

Always great to hear from another TR fan. I read at least one TR book a year, learn something new, and never tire of him. This year, it was "Rose like a Rocket".

I too, would've love to have met him. I have been asked that question in several job interviews and always knew the answer. Of course, I wonder if I could've kept up with him!

Yes, people seemed to be more literate then. Could you imagine TR in the age of the Internet?!? Amazon would have to have a special program just for him.

Connie "Rose Like A Rocket"? I'm not familiar with that one at all. I'm currently reading David McCoullough's "Morning on Horseback".

Of all things, I developed an interest in TR due to watching "Rough Riders" from Netflix. I'm not endorsing the film, honestly, I would have to go back and re-watch it to see how accurate it was. Tom Berenger's portrayal of TR captured my attention and set me off to the library to read Edmund Morris' book, "The Rise Of Theodore Roosevelt". I was hooked and followed up with "Theodore Rex" by the same author. (Next came Mallard's book).

Too many times people are shaped by Hollywood's version of history rather than finding out for themselves. In this case, it opened a window of interest for me to pursue it on my own.

My favorite areas of interest tend to be historical biographies. We recently watched "John Adams" and my next book purchase will probably be McCoullough's book, "John Adams".

You're right, Amazon would definitley have to have a special program. I have actually purchased a few things from EBay on TR, because he fascinates me!

message 4: by Doubleday (new)

Doubleday  Books Candice Millard’s new book, THE DESTINY OF THE REPUBLIC, hits stores 9/20/11. If you are interested in a review copy, please email doubledaymarketing@randomhouse.com with your mailing address and use DESTINY as your subject line. Txs!