Jessi's Reviews > You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation

You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried by Susannah Gora

Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: biography-memoir, non-fiction, movie-tie-in
Read from May 26 to June 02, 2011

First Line: "The lavender-hued poster of The Breakfast Club has hung on the walls of countless childhood bedrooms and college dorm rooms over the past quarter of a century."

You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried explores the impact of John Hughes and seven iconic teen movies of the eighties: Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club (my personal fave), St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Say Anything (my other fave). I thought Gore did a decent analysis, although at times it felt like she tried to cram too much into one book (near the end she was providing quick and dirty analysis of the racial implications of the films). Since I am not a GenXer, but rather am part of the Millenial set who discovered these films a decade or more after they were first filmed, I don't think my connection to them is quite as strong. However, I did love the movies and enjoyed a recap of some of the filming drama and a look at the pivitol article that termed the actors the Brat Pack for better or for worse. This book did give me a big hankering to watch the movies again, so I may be having an 80s movie marathon. Definitely a fun read. Oh and I just want to throw in my vote for sexiest of the '80s movie characters: Judd Nelson's Bender in The Breakfast Club. Never could resist a bad boy...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried.