Michael's Reviews > The Broken Shore

The Broken Shore by Peter Temple

Sep 11, 2010

Read from September 04 to 11, 2010

I was expecting a typical American style pulp mystery crime novel a-la Coben or Patterson. What a pleasant surprise. This book is a complex, intelligently and stylishly written murder mystery set in a small town along Australia's southwest coast. It was remindful of the best in Amerian noir style mysteries such as The Big sleep, Maltese flacon, or The Glass Key. Peter Temple mixes excellent dialogue, interesting characters, and complex plot lines while not over explaining things as you go. What a nice treat to not have it all laid out for me that I have to imagine why characters behave as they do.
Joe Cashin is a damaged police detective sent to his small home town for emotional and physical recovery from some previous case that went bad only to get involved with another one. What seems like a straight forward murder/robbery of a local prominent citizen, presumably by some wild aboriginal delinquents, turns into something far more complex. I found this book to be well above the cut of most current American crime mystery books which have become too formulaic and written to the mass market for maximum gore and titillation. Why is it that the most interesting crime books seem to be coming from other countries like Sweeden, Norway, and now Australia?
I'm looking forward to reading more of Peter Temple's books if they are anything like this was.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Shore.