Chris Hitsman's Reviews > Harris and Me

Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

Sep 21, 10

Although this is classified as a young-adult-fiction piece, I feel that anyone could pick it up and be entertained. I read it when I was younger and find myself picking it up now and again every few years. An eleven year old boy (whose name we never learn) is sent away by his alcoholic parents to live with relatives, and this summer it is to live with the Larsons on their farm in the middle of the country. I also find it interesting that this could be a semi autobiographical piece reaching back to Paulsen's own childhood. The characterization is amazing, and the setting is just as well done.

Harris is the narrator's second cousin and is the antagonist of the story. We follow the narrator and Harris as they try to entertain the summer away. What's important though is that the narrator is in an entirely new world, and must learn to adapt to farm life while he is at his new temporary home. This includes milking cows, dealing with the ferocious rooster who owns the yard, wrestling with pigs, jumping from the barn loft onto a horse (mimicking a western they saw in a small back room with the majority of the town), and many other vividly detailed adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harris and Me.