Maggie's Reviews > Sarah's Key

4222084
Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: french-authors, 2011, reviewed
Read from August 24 to 26, 2011

A haunting, compelling story that was almost undone by a few superfluous, cringe-inducing chapters at the end that would make Nicholas Sparks and Mitch Albom proud. This was an imperfect novel, for sure, but still one that broached a subject that should be explored more, and brought to life events that were tragically swept under a rug. Like many other reviewers, I wanted more Sarah and less Julia. At one point, Julia's boss tells her re: her story, "But you forgot a couple of things. The cops. The French cops." Julia responds, "He was right, of course. It had never entered my head." I wondered if perhaps that was exchange Tatiana de Rosnay had had with her own boss because I was curious about the cops too, but unfortunately, there is no mention beyond that.

Despite its unevenness, Sarah's Key is worth a read and shows with terrifying detail some of the atrocities that occurred in 1942.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.

08/24/2011 "This book was the FIRST book I put on my "To Read" shelf on goodreads a year ago, and I'm finally getting to it now."
08/25/2011
22.0% "This book is going to make me weep, isn't it?"