Kavyen's Reviews > The King of Torts

The King of Torts by John Grisham

U 50x66
Aug 29, 10

Read in August, 2010

The office of the public defender is not known as a training ground for bright young litigators. Clay Carter has been there too long and, like most of his colleagues, dreams of a better job in a real firm. When he reluctantly takes the case of a young man charged with a random street killing, he assumes it is just another of the many senseless murders that hit D.C. every week.

As he digs into the background of his client, Clay stumbles on a conspiracy too horrible to believe. He suddenly finds himself in the middle of a complex case against one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, looking at the kind of enormous settlement that would totally change his life—that would make him, almost overnight, the legal profession’s newest king of torts…

The base of the story and the build up was interesting. When it came to the characters, I liked Clay Carter, at least I thought I did. I adored him for refusing the job his would-be-father-in-law recommended him for. It gave me the image of a man with a deep character who refused to take up any favors and was determined to make or break his own life. Just when you thought he was being ambition-less and unmotivated the story takes a 360 degree turn and so does Clay.

He suddenly sky rockets from a motive less public defender to a multi-millionaire. He has all the money that one would ever need. But every time Clay won a case or flaunted his wealth, I was constantly reminded of how he had become obsessed with greed, fame and money causing me to dislike him. I wanted to give him one tight slap and ask him to do the right thing … I really wanted to do it.

I typically like John Grisham and while “The King of Torts” is an incredibly good book, there are quite a few good books out there by the author that will enthrall you much more. The ending is predictable and whether you are a John Grisham fan or not you can guess where the story is leading all along.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Torts.